Leon Zwier is a litigation and corporate recovery services lawyer. He has been a partner of Arnold Bloch Leibler since 1991 and is head of the firm’s dispute resolution & litigation and reconstruction & insolvency practices. Leon has also been extensively involved in large, complicated and difficult commercial disputes.
“The best mind in the country for creative, lateral problem solving."
Leon is regularly identified as a leading lawyer by various international guides to lawyers and legal firms, including:
- Best Lawyers® International 2019 (alternative dispute resolution; bet-the-company litigation; distressed investing & debt trading; insolvency & reorganisation law and litigation);
- Best Lawyers® International 2019 ‘Lawyer of the Year’ for distressed investing and debt trading;
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (dispute resolution and insolvency);
- Chambers Asia Pacific (dispute resolution and restructuring & insolvency);
- Euromoney’s Who’s Who? Legal (asset recovery, business crime defence, investigations, restructuring and insolvency);
- Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Litigation Lawyers;
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers (restructuring, insolvency & bankruptcy);
- IFLR 1000 (litigation and restructuring & insolvency);
- PLC’s Which Lawyer? (restructuring & insolvency);
- Expert Guide’s Best of the Best (litigation and insolvency & restructuring);
- Crossborder Restructuring and Insolvency Handbook;
- Legal Profiles (an independent review of Australian legal firms), which described him as “the pre-eminent insolvency lawyer, achieving outstanding commercial solutions and providing strong, solid advice”.
Leon has unparalleled enthusiasm. His enjoyment of the practice of law is infectious, and it generates fresh thinking in colleagues and clients alike. He frequently presents to universities, professional bodies, large corporations and members of the legal profession on aspects of litigation, and insolvency and reconstruction law.
Leon has published several articles in leading international insolvency journals, has made numerous submissions in relation to legal reform and appeared before Parliamentary Committees of Inquiry. Leon’s recent public presentations have included:
- Co-chair of the 10th World Quadrennial Congress of INSOL International 2017;
- Insolvency Lawyers’ Association (UK) Annual Conference 2017;
- TMA Australia Conference 2017;
- IBA Annual Conference 2017;
- Debtwire Australia Restructuring Forum 2017;
- IPA’s National Conference;
- University of Melbourne Masters Class in insolvency; and
- Victorian Bar and Law Institute Joint Conference.
Directorships & memberships
In September 2006, Leon was appointed a non-executive director of Challenger and in September 2013, was appointed as a commissioner of Cricket Australia’s Code of Behaviour Commission.
Leon is a member of the Law Council of Australia and its Insolvency and Reconstruction Committee, Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association (ARITA) and INSOL International.
Most recently, Leon has been appointed to the Advisory Committee of the Australian Law Reform Commission’s Review of corporate criminal liability and the Federal Government’s Insolvency Practitioner Disciplinary Committees. He has also been appointed by the International Bar Association’s Insolvency Section to serve as a Publications Officer and co-editor of the section magazine, Insolvency and Restructuring International.
Leon regularly acts for Australia’s leading administrators and restructuring experts in a range of matters. His recent experience includes: Arrium Group; Slater & Gordon; WICET; Boart Longyear; On Site; Octaviar; Lehman Bros; and Network Ten. He has also recently acted in a range of litigation matters including: Slater & Gordon (class proceeding); Aveo (class proceeding); Bellamy; Department of Premier and Cabinet (East West project); The Leader of the Opposition (Trade Union Royal Commission); and PEP (Asahi matter).