Leon Zwier is a litigation and corporate recovery services lawyer. He has been a partner of Arnold Bloch Leibler since 1991 and is head of the firm’s dispute resolution & litigation and restructuring & insolvency practices.
Leon is widely acclaimed as one of Australia’s leading lawyers. He has acted as lead counsel in a number of Australia’s largest and most complex restructures and insolvency workouts. He has also acted in numerous ‘bet the company’ disputes and regulatory proceedings and inquiries.
In addition to advising corporations and influential Australian business people, Leon has acted for government and leaders on either side of the political spectrum. He has also made numerous submissions to government in relation to law reform and appeared before Parliamentary Committees of Inquiry.
Leon has unparalleled enthusiasm. His enjoyment of the practice of law is infectious, and it generates fresh thinking in colleagues and clients alike.
“The best mind in the country for creative, lateral problem solving.”
Leon regularly acts for Australia’s leading administrators and restructuring experts in a range of matters. His experience includes: Arrium Group, Slater & Gordon, WICET, Boart Longyear, On Site, Octaviar, Lehman Bros and Network Ten. He has also acted in a range of litigation matters including: Slater & Gordon (class proceeding), Aveo (class proceeding), Bellamy, Department of Premier and Cabinet (East West project), the Former Leader of the Opposition (Trade Union Royal Commission) and PEP (Asahi matter).
Directorships & memberships
Leon contributes his time to various boards, committees and associations. He was appointed to the Advisory Committee of the Australian Law Reform Commission’s Review of corporate criminal liability and is a member of the Federal Government’s Insolvency Practitioner Disciplinary Committees. Leon is also an Appeals Conduct Commissioner of Cricket Australia’s code of behaviour and is the Chairman of the Bradman Foundation. He is also a board member of the Scanlon Foundation and Athletes for Hope Australia, and is a former non-executive director of ASX listed Challenger Limited.
Leon is a member of the Law Council of Australia and its Insolvency and Reconstruction Committee, Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association (ARITA), Turnaround Management Association Australia and INSOL International. He has also been appointed by the International Bar Association’s Insolvency Section to serve as a Vice Chair of Projects and Publications.
“Leon Zwier – known as ‘Mr Fix-It’ in corporate Australia – is connected to some of the country’s most powerful people.”
Awards & recognition
Leon is regularly identified as a leading lawyer by various international guides to lawyers and legal firms, including:
- Best Lawyers® International: alternative dispute resolution, bet-the-company litigation, class action litigation, distressed investing & debt trading, insolvency & reorganisation law and litigation. In 2019, Leon was listed as ‘lawyer of the year’ for distressed investing and debt trading
- Chambers Asia Pacific: dispute resolution and restructuring/insolvency. In 2021, Leon was named as a ‘star individual’ for restructuring & insolvency
- Doyle’s Guide: commercial litigation & dispute resolution, insolvency & restructuring and white collar crime, corporate crime & regulatory investigations
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific: class actions, dispute resolution and restructuring & insolvency
- Euromoney’s Who’s Who? Legal: asset recovery, business crime defence, investigations, restructuring and insolvency
- Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Litigation Lawyers
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers: restructuring, insolvency & bankruptcy
- IFLR 1000: litigation and restructuring & insolvency
- PLC’s Which Lawyer?: restructuring & insolvency
- Expert Guide’s Best of the Best: litigation and insolvency & restructuring, and
- Crossborder Restructuring and Insolvency Handbook.