Leon is regularly identified as a leading lawyer by various international guides to lawyers and legal firms, including:
- Best Lawyers® International 2019 (alternative dispute resolution; bet-the-company litigation; distressed investing & debt trading; insolvency & reorganisation law and litigation);
- Best Lawyers® International 2019 ‘Lawyer of the Year’ for distressed investing and debt trading;
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (dispute resolution and insolvency);
- Chambers Asia Pacific (dispute resolution and restructuring & insolvency);
- Euromoney’s Who’s Who? Legal (asset recovery, business crime defence, investigations, restructuring and insolvency);
- Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Litigation Lawyers;
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers (restructuring, insolvency & bankruptcy);
- IFLR 1000 (litigation and restructuring & insolvency);
- PLC’s Which Lawyer? (restructuring & insolvency);
- Expert Guide’s Best of the Best (litigation and insolvency & restructuring);
- Crossborder Restructuring and Insolvency Handbook;
- Legal Profiles (an independent review of Australian legal firms), which described him as “the pre-eminent insolvency lawyer, achieving outstanding commercial solutions and providing strong, solid advice”.
Leon has unparalleled enthusiasm. His enjoyment of the practice of law is infectious, and it generates fresh thinking in colleagues and clients alike. He frequently presents to universities, professional bodies, large corporations and members of the legal profession on aspects of litigation, and insolvency and reconstruction law.
Leon has published several articles in leading international insolvency journals, has made numerous submissions in relation to legal reform and appeared before Parliamentary Committees of Inquiry. Leon’s recent public presentations have included:
- Co-chair of the 10th World Quadrennial Congress of INSOL International 2017;
- Insolvency Lawyers’ Association (UK) Annual Conference 2017;
- TMA Australia Conference 2017;
- IBA Annual Conference 2017;
- Debtwire Australia Restructuring Forum 2017;
- IPA’s National Conference;
- University of Melbourne Masters Class in insolvency; and
- Victorian Bar and Law Institute Joint Conference.
In September 2006, Leon was appointed a non-executive director of Challenger and in September 2013, was appointed as a commissioner of Cricket Australia’s Code of Behaviour Commission.
Leon is a member of the Law Council of Australia and its Insolvency and Reconstruction Committee, Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association (ARITA), INSOL International, and a member of the Melbourne University Law School Foundation Board.
Most recently, Leon has been appointed to the Federal Government’s Insolvency Practitioner Disciplinary Committees. He has also been appointed by the International Bar Association’s Insolvency Section to serve as a Membership Officer responsible for Australia for the January 2017 to December 2018 term.