Ken Gray specialises in commercial property development transactions and has represented private, corporate and institutional clients in a broad range of property-related issues.
Ken heads the firm’s property & development practice, an integrated group that adopts a ‘one-stop-shop’ approach to all aspects of property acquisition, financing, development, construction, sales and leasing.
A strong property generalist, with over 30 years’ experience, Ken aims to give his clients solutions that are realistic and commercially focused.
“Ken Gray is outstanding – he is one of the best property lawyers in Australia.”
Ken’s practice focuses on the following areas:
development and construction projects, including commercial, retail, industrial, residential and mixed-use properties
sales and acquisitions, including commercial, retail, industrial and mixed-use properties
due diligence for acquisitions and sales
commercial advice on retail, office and industrial leases, and
Ken has acted for a number of Australia’s commercial property developers and institutional investors on a broad spectrum of property matters, including:
Residential and mixed-use developments
- LK Property Group: in relation to the acquisition and development of various residential buildings including Capitol Grand in South Yarra, Victoria
- Bensons Property Group: in relation to the acquisition and development of various residential and retail buildings, including the ‘Solstice’ project in East Hawthorn
- Telstra: in relation to the sale of 288 Exhibition Street, Melbourne to Malaysian developer SP Setia
- DeGroup: in relation to the sale of the $175 million Bradmill Site, Yarraville, Victoria
- Beck Property Group: in relation to the ‘Caulfield Village’ development at the Caulfield Racecourse, Victoria
- Intrapac Projects: in relation to the acquisition, development and sales for a staged residential planned community at Keysborough and the acquisition of residential development sites in Truganina, Lilydale and Torquay, Victoria, and
- Moremac Property Group: in relation to the purchase of 45 Gellies Road and 170 Lancefield Road, Sunbury, Victoria.
- Medical Properties Trust: in relation to the acquisition of $1.25 billion of hospitals from Australian private hospital operator Healthscope
- Heathbridge: in relation to the sale of Burwood One Shopping Centre
- Highpoint Property Group: in relation to the sale of the 25 percent stake in Highpoint Shopping Centre to GPT Wholesale Shopping Centre Fund for $680 million
- Digital Harbour Consortium: in relation to the development, leasing and sale of buildings within the Digital Harbour precinct at Melbourne Docklands
- Warrington Properties: in relation to the acquisition of industrial properties in Dandenong and Tullamarine, Victoria
- Marks Henderson: in relation to the acquisition and sale of numerous commercial and industrial properties in Victoria and New South Wales
- Saraceno Group: in relation to Mantra Hotel developments at Tullamarine and Clayton, Victoria
- Qualitas: in relation to the purchase of the $400 million property portfolio of the Allied Pinnacle flour milling and baked goods business
- Trawalla Group: in relation to the landmark Parliament Square site in Hobart, Tasmania
- Walker Corporation: in relation to the acquisition, development and sale of Point Cook Town Centre development at Point Cook, Victoria, and the acquisition and development of Collins Square at Melbourne Docklands
- Ashe Morgan: in relation to the acquisition and development of the Harbour Town portfolio at Melbourne Docklands
- Lascorp Development Group: in relation to the acquisition, development, leasing and sale of various retail developments in Queensland and Victoria
- Telstra Corporation: in relation to numerous office leasing matters and sale of a major development site in Exhibition Street, Melbourne, Victoria
- Zagame Group: in relation to sale of the Paradise Resort complex in Queensland and the acquisition of the Jimboomba Shopping Centre and Tavern in Queensland
- MAB Corporation: in relation to the acquisition, development and sale of components within the University Hill development at Bundoora, the development of the NewQuay precinct at Melbourne Docklands and the acquisition, development and sale of components within the Merrifield development at Mickleham
- Phileo Australia: in relation to the sale of the Estate One Industrial Park in Dandenong, the purchase of 303 Collins Street, Melbourne, the acquisition, development and sale of Rocklea Homemaker Centre and the sale of the Wyndham Vale residential estate
- Pacific Group: in relation to the sale of its retail, office and carpark development at Rundle Place, Adelaide and a number of acquisition, leasing, development and sale transactions relating to its Epping Plaza and Werribee Shopping Centres
- Overland Group: in relation to the sale of 1 Collins Street, Melbourne and 12-25 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, Victoria, and
- Julliard Group: in relation to the acquisition, disposal and leasing of properties in Victoria and the Australian Capital Territory.
Directorships & memberships
- an accredited property law specialist with the Law Institute of Victoria, and
- a chair of the National Committee of the Property Law Group of the Law Council of Australia.
Awards & recognition
Ken is recognised as a leading lawyer by various international guides to lawyers and law firms, including:
- Best Lawyers® International: real property law
- Chambers Asia Pacific: real estate
- Doyle’s Guide: leasing and property & real estate, and
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific: real estate.