Jason van Grieken is a partner in our corporate and commercial practice. He has a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, equity capital markets, restructuring and distressed debt transactions.
Jason has significant experience in large-scale commercial transactions, acting for a range of public and private clients in Australia and overseas across various industry sectors.
Jason has advised on some of the Australian market’s largest and most complex transactions, including multiple ‘Deal of the Year’ winners and nominees in M&A, restructuring and capital markets. He is recognised by Best Lawyers® International in the area of Commercial Law.
Jason graduated from Monash University with a Bachelor of Commerce and a Bachelor of Laws with first class honours. In 2009, he joined Arnold Bloch Leibler as a graduate lawyer and was admitted to practice in 2010. Jason was appointed as a partner in July 2019. Jason is also a Director on the Board of the Sandro Demaio Foundation.
Recommended for Commercial Law in Australia
Jason’s practice focuses on the following areas:
- public takeovers, schemes and mergers
- private M&A
- public and private capital raisings, including IPOs, secondary equity capital raisings, venture capital and private equity funds
- restructuring, workouts and distressed debt transactions
- shareholder activism and board disputes
- listed and non-listed corporate governance, compliance and advisory, and
- general commercial and corporate advice.
Jason’s extensive experience includes advising the following matters:
Public M&A transactions
- Coverforce: in relation to its $411.5m sale to ASX-listed general insurance business, Steadfast Group
- John Kirby: $468m scheme of arrangement between Village Roadshow and BGH Capital
- BGH Capital: on its bid to acquire Virgin Australia
- Spicers: acquisition of Step-up Preference Securities in the SPS Trust by way of trust scheme
- Solomon Lew: $2.2bn scheme of arrangement between Woolworths South Africa and David Jones, and the $2bn takeover for Country Road
- Senior lenders of Redcape Hotel Group (York Capital Management, Varde Partners, Goldman Sachs): $278m takeover and recapitalisation of Redcape by way of scheme
- Tishman Speyer Properties: US$338m privatisation ($1.9bn overall transaction value) of the ASX-listed Tishman Speyer Office Fund
- Nufarm Limited: successful defence of proposed scheme by Sinochem Corporation
- Breville Group: successful defence of a $300m takeover offer from GUD Holdings Limited, and
- Takeovers Panel matters: acting for interested parties in multiple Takeovers Panel proceedings including in relation to Australian Whiskey Holdings, Cromwell Property Group, Benjamin Hornigold and Viento Group.
Private M&A transactions
Clean Energy Finance Corporation: on a joint venture with Octopus Australia in relation to the development of two large-scale solar and battery storage projects in regional Victoria
- Assetic founders: sale of Assetic to Dude Solutions, the leading provider of cloud-based operations software
- Tom Organic: 100% sale of Tom Organic to Asaleo Care
- Arq Group management: $35 million management buy-out of ASX-listed Arq Group’s Enterprise Services Division, backed by Quadrant Private Equity
- Mozo shareholders: 100% sale of Mozo to Future plc, a UK based global platform for specialist media
- Zip: $50m acquisition of New Zealand-based PartPay Limited
- SoftwareONE: Australian acquisitions of BNW Consulting and GorrilaStack
- Trawalla Group: acquisition of the landmark Parliament Square site in Hobart, Tasmania
- CrownBet founders: on a series of milestone transactions, including the $150m exit of Crown Resorts, the entry of new partner The Stars Group, the sale of a further 18% interest in CrownBet to The Stars Group and the acquisition by CrownBet of William Hill Australia for circa $300m
- BlueScope Steel: the sale of its New Zealand iron sands business
- Australian Sustainable Hardwoods: initial acquisition of the Heyfield timber mill, the largest hardwood sawmill in Australia, and subsequent sale to the Victorian State Government
- IDP Education: $56m acquisition of Hotcourses, a UK-based digital marketing and online student recruitment company
- RCG Corporation: $200m acquisition of Accent Group Limited, distributor and retailer of Vans, Skechers, Dr Martens and Timberland
- The Middleby Corporation: acquisition of Goldstein Eswood, one of Australia’s leading commercial kitchen equipment manufacturers, and
- Catchoftheday and Scoopon: sale of a minority stake to Tiger Global Management, James Packer’s CPH and Andrew Bassat.
Restructuring, workouts and distressed debt transactions
- Freedom Foods: its $265m recapitalisation by way of secured convertible notes and senior debt restructure
- Automotive manufacturer: in connection with the restructure of its Australian network and implementation of a new business model
- BGH Capital: on its bid to acquire Virgin Australia
- Oroton insolvency: advised the administrators of Oroton and in relation to the subsequent Deed of Company Arrangement
- Axsesstoday insolvency: advised the administrators of Axsesstoday on the restructure and $260 million sale to an affiliate of private equity firm, Cerberus Capital Management
- Slater & Gordon:
- the settlement of multiple shareholder class actions by way of creditors’ scheme of arrangement
- creditors’ scheme of arrangement in respect of the recapitalisation of $760m of secured debt, involving the reduction of debt, the separation of UK operations and the issuance of shares to the secured creditors
- Nine Entertainment: acting for the senior lenders of Nine Entertainment (Apollo Global Management, Oaktree Capital Group) in relation to the $3.4bn restructure of Nine by way of scheme
- Rathbone Wine Group: in relation it its restructure and recapitalisation, and
- Senior lenders of Redcape Hotel Group (York Capital Management, Varde Partners, Goldman Sachs): $278m takeover and recapitalisation of Redcape by way of scheme.
Public equity capital transactions
- Freedom Foods: $265m recapitalisation by way of secured convertible notes
- $100 million placement and SPP
- $170m IPO and listing on the ASX
- Thorney Technologies:
- $37m multi-tranche placements and non-renounceable entitlement offer
- $42.5m recapitalisation and back-door listing on the ASX
- $65m recapitalisation of ASX-listed Wentworth Holdings and the establishment of Thorney Opportunities Limited
- RCG Corporation: $135m placement and SPP
- Catapult Group: $66m IPO and listing on the ASX
- Hotel Property Investments: $279m IPO and listing on the ASX
- Thorney Group: $65m recapitalisation of ASX-listed Wentworth Holdings and the establishment of Thorney Opportunities Limited
- Nufarm Limited: $251m AREO and $611m strategic investment by Sumitomo Chemical Company
- Seek Limited: $100m placement, SPP and top-up offer
- Slater & Gordon: $40m placement and SPP, and
- Carsales: $800m IPO and listing on the ASX.
Private equity and venture capital transactions
- acting for private equity and venture capital in relation to investments, fund establishment and structuring, including acting for BGH, The Riverside Company, Hume Partners, Square Peg Capital, AirTree Ventures, FiveV and Trawalla Capital, and
- acting for start-ups in relation to various funding rounds, including Superhero, Inquisitive Learning, Polus Tech and Cannatrek.
- Merlon Capital Partners: its activism campaign against AMP Limited in relation to AMP's $3.3bn divestment of its life insurance business
- Solomon Lew: the $2.2bn scheme of arrangement between Woolworths South Africa and David Jones, and the $2bn takeover for Country Road, and
- Various clients in relation to private companies.
Awards & recognition
Jason is recognised as a leading lawyer by an international guide to lawyers and law firms:
- Best Lawyers® International: commercial law.