Jason van Grieken is a partner in the corporate and commercial practice. He has a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions, equity capital markets, venture capital and shareholder activism.
Recommended for Commercial Law in Australia
- public takeovers and mergers, including by way of scheme of arrangement
- private M&A
- IPOs and back-door listings on the ASX
- secondary equity capital raisings
- venture capital and private equity fund establishment and investment transactions
- corporate restructuring transactions, including creditor schemes of arrangement
- shareholder activism, and
- corporate governance and advisory.
Jason has been involved in the following matters:
Public equity capital markets
- Kogan: $170m IPO and listing on the ASX
- Thorney Technologies:
- $42.5m recapitalisation and back-door listing on the ASX
- $65m recapitalisation of ASX-listed Wentworth Holdings and the establishment of Thorney Opportunities Limited
- RCG Corporation: $125m placement and $10 million SPP to fund the acquisition of Accent Group Limited;
- Catapult Group: $66m IPO and listing on the ASX
- Hotel Property Investments: $279m IPO and listing on the ASX
- Thorney Group: $65m recapitalisation of ASX-listed Wentworth Holdings and the establishment of Thorney Opportunities Limited
- Nufarm Limited: $251m AREO and $611m strategic investment by Sumitomo Chemical Company
- Seek Limited: $100m placement and SPP and top-up offer
- Slater & Gordon: $40m placement and SPP to partially fund its acquisition of Trilby Misso Lawyers, and
- Carsales: $800m IPO and listing on the ASX.
Public M&A transactions
- Newgate Capital: successful defence against an application by Australian Whisky Holdings to the Takeovers Panel seeking a declaration of unacceptable circumstances regarding Australian Whisky Holdings
- Slater & Gordon:
- the settlement of multiple shareholder class actions by way of creditors’ scheme of arrangement
- creditors’ scheme of arrangement in respect of the recapitalisation of $760m of secured debt, involving the reduction of debt, the separation of UK operations and the issuance of shares to the secured creditors
- Spicers: Spicer’s acquisition of Step-up Preference Securities in the SPS Trust by way of a trust scheme
- Solomon Lew: $2.2bn scheme of arrangement between Woolworths South Africa and David Jones, and the $2bn takeover for Country Road
- Senior lenders of Redcape Hotel Group (York Capital Management, Varde Partners, Goldman Sachs): $278m takeover and recapitalisation of Redcape by way of scheme
- Tishman Speyer Properties: US$338m privatisation ($1.9bn overall transaction value) of the ASX-listed Tishman Speyer Office Fund
- Viento Group: successful ‘undisclosed associations’ application to the Takeovers Panel seeking a declaration of unacceptable circumstances regarding Viento’s affairs
- Nufarm Limited: in relation to the defence of the proposed scheme of arrangement by Chinese state-owned company, Sinochem Corporation, and
- Breville Group: Breville’s successful defence of a $300m takeover offer from GUD Holdings Limited.
Venture capital and private equity transactions
- Acting for venture capital funds and private equity in relation to:
- their investments, including acting for Square Peg Capital, AirTree Ventures, FiveV and Trawalla Capital
- fund establishment and structuring, including:
- Square Peg Capital in relation to its various fund structures
- Trawalla Capital in relation to the establishment of Stonehorn Global Partners and the launch of the Stonehorn Asia Equity Fund, which seeks to raise up to $1bn
- Trawalla Capital in relation to the establishment of Armitage Associates, and
- Acting for start-ups in relation to various funding rounds, including Polus Tech, Cannatrek, Inquisitive Learning.
Private M&A transactions
- The founders of CrownBet: on a series of milestone transactions, including the $150m exit of Crown Resorts, the entry of new partner The Stars Group, the sale of a further 18% interest in CrownBet to The Stars Group and the acquisition by CrownBet of William Hill Australia for circa $300m
- BlueScope Steel: in relation to the sale of its New Zealand iron sands business
- Australian Sustainable Hardwoods:
- sale of the company to the Victorian State Government
- initial acquisition of the Heyfield timber mill, the largest hardwood sawmill in Australia in 2012 from Gunns Limited
- IDP Education: $56m acquisition of Hotcourses, a UK-based digital marketing and online student recruitment company
- Nine Entertainment: acting for the senior lenders of Nine Entertainment (Apollo Global Management, Oaktree Capital Group) in relation to the $3.4bn restructure of Nine by way of scheme
- RCG Corporation: $200m acquisition of Accent Group Limited, distributor and retailer of Vans, Skechers, Dr Martens and Timberland
- The Middleby Corporation: acquisition of Goldstein Eswood, one of Australia’s leading commercial kitchen equipment manufacturers, and
- Catchoftheday and Scoopon: sale of a minority stake to Tiger Global Management, James Packer’s CPH and Andrew Bassat.
- Merlon Capital Partners: in relation to its activism campaign against AMP Limited in relation to AMP's $3.3bn divestment of its life insurance business
- Solomon Lew: in relation to the $2.2bn scheme of arrangement between Woolworths South Africa and David Jones, and the $2bn takeover for Country Road, and
- Various clients in relation to private companies.