Paul Rubenstein is the managing partner of our Sydney office. His specialty is the structuring of transactions across a range of commercial practice areas including banking and finance, debt restructuring and private M&A.
More importantly, he is a trusted adviser to many of the firm’s longest standing and valued clients.
Paul holds a Bachelor of Science and LLB (Hons) from Monash University and an LLM from the University of Cambridge, where he was a Commonwealth Cambridge Trust Scholar. Prior to joining Arnold Bloch Leibler, Paul lived and worked in Israel for a number of years where he was a partner at one of Israel’s premier law firms, Herzog Fox & Neeman.
“Paul has an excellent depth of knowledge and is able to think through things and come up with out-of-the-box solutions.”
Paul’s practice focuses on the following areas:
- structuring property investments and joint ventures
- property and general corporate debt financings, including senior and mezzanine financings
- M&A and capital raisings involving private companies
- restructuring and work outs, and
- generally advising high-net-worth client and family groups.
Paul has acted for major financial institutions, publicly listed corporations and private investors on a range of matters. Recent experience includes:
Structuring & financing in property sector
- AsheMorgan: in relation to:
- the acquisition, financing, refinancing and development of the Harbour Town Shopping Centre in Docklands, Melbourne
- a series of transactions in the property sector including the acquisition joint venture arrangements and financing of the TC Beirne building in Brisbane, Health and Forestry buildings in Brisbane, 9 Hunter St building in Sydney, The Complex in Brisbane, the Cross Roads Complex in Sydney and the Darlinghurst Collection in Oxford Street
Metro Property: in relation to the acquisition of the prominent ‘Bingara Gorge’ site from Lendlease
- Payce Consolidated Limited: in relation to a series of acquisitions and financing transactions
- Bricktop Group: in relation to a series of property acquisitions and debt financing transactions
- MaxCap: in relation to a series of structured property finance transactions
- Aoyin: in relation to a series of financings
- Trumen Corporation: in relation to the structuring and financing of a series of property developments.
- Anka Property Group: in relation to a series of property/property finance transactions
- Ramsay Property Group: in relation to a series of property/property finance transactions
- Centennial Property Group: in relation to a series of private equity and property financing transactions and the establishment of managed funds
- Fortius: in relation to the establishment of a debt fund, and
- Starwood Capital Group: in relation to the structuring and joint venture arrangements on the Zenith Complex in Chatswood.
Advising in relation to capital raisings for the following early stage companies:
- Elula Holdings Pty Ltd
- Custom Tec Pty Ltd
- Willow Inc
- FAST AF, Inc, and
- Capsicum Holdings Pty Ltd.
Restructuring & insolvency
Advising the creditors in relation to insolvency administrations of:
- Max Brenner (Australia)
- Aus Confec Pty Ltd, and
- Think Group.
Directorships & memberships
- the Chairman of Australia/Israel and Jewish Affairs Council (AIJAC) in New South Wales
- a director of Weizmann Australia, and
- a member of the advisory board of AI start-up Elula.
Awards & recognition
Paul has been recognised as a leading lawyer by various international guides to lawyers and law firms, including:
- Best Lawyers® International: private equity law and structured finance law
- Chambers Asia Pacific: banking & finance: property finance, and
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific: banking & finance and corporate & M&A.