Raphael Leibler practices in the firm’s litigation & dispute resolution group. He has represented public and private companies, high-net-worth individuals and other high-profile clients.
“Raphael is commercial, knowledgeable and strategic. He connects with his clients and delivers.”
Raphael’s practice focuses on the following areas:
- commercial litigation, principally in the Supreme, Federal and appellate Courts
- corporate insolvency and restructuring
- corporate governance, including board and shareholder disputes and directors’ duties
- contractual, trust and trade practices disputes, and
- royal commissions.
Raphael has acted in a range of matters, including:
Dispute resolution & litigation
- Slea Pty Ltd: a founding shareholder in a major Australian mortgage aggregator, in complex oppression proceedings, derivative proceedings, and in proceedings to enforce pre-emptive rights in the Victorian Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and High Court
- a prominent artist and gallery owner: in relation to a commercial dispute
- a hotel portfolio owner: in relation to gaming licences issued by the Vanuatu government, and
- a UK national: a former executive of a listed US company under investigation by the FBI and prosecuted by the New York State Attorney in relation to securities fraud.
Restructuring & insolvency
- the Administrators of the Arrium Group, including in proceedings in the Federal Court:
- to prevent a significant financier from enforcing cross-collateralised guarantees
- in connection with meetings of creditors and communications with creditors, and
- seeking relief from personal liability and directions in relation to agreements for the financing, construction and commissioning of beneficiation plants.
- the United States Trustee of the Estate of Geoffrey Edelsten: acting for the Trustee in cross border insolvency matters involving the Federal Court of Australia and United States Bankruptcy Court, and
- an international mining company: in relation to debt restructuring and reorganisation.
- Solomon Lew and Premier Investments: in relation to the campaign for change on the board of department store Myer Holdings
- Dr. Gary Weiss and Ariadne Australia: in the successful campaign at Dreamworld theme park owner Ardent Leisure Group, resulting in two board appointments and Dr. Weiss’s appointment as board chairman, and
- Praemium CEO, Michael Ohanessian: in the successful spill of the Praemium board.
- the former leader of the Opposition: in the Royal Commission into Trade Union Governance and Corruption
- Industry Super Australia and four leading industry superannuation funds: in connection with the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry, and
- A listed aged care provider: in connection with the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety.
- the former leader of the Opposition: providing advice in relation to various matters with Leon Zwier, and
- Bruce McWilliam: providing advice with Leon Zwier.