Ben Mahoney practises in commercial and banking & finance law, focussing on large debt and equity financing and restructuring transactions. He has acted for major corporations, funds, entrepreneurs and family groups in a range of finance, capital raising, property development, restructuring & insolvency and general commercial matters, including joint ventures, shareholder arrangements and business acquisitions.
“Very active, very good at corralling a group of stakeholders and is across all the details.”
- banking and finance transactions, including negotiating large debt and equity financing transactions, capital raising, property development finance, project finance, mezzanine finance and intercreditor arrangements;
- large solvent and insolvent restructuring and workout transactions;
- managed investment scheme and financial services law; and
- general commercial and corporate transactions, including joint ventures, shareholder arrangements, business acquisitions and restructuring advice.
Ben has acted for major corporations, funds, entrepreneurs and family groups in a range of finance, restructuring and general commercial matters, including:
Medical Properties Trust: in relation to the acquisition of $1.25 billion of hospitals from Australian private hospital operator Healthscope
Impact Investment Group: debt and equity financing counsel and development structuring advice in relation to $500m+ fund-through and other commercial transactions
A large number of Australian property groups and developers: in relation to debt and equity financing transactions for property and portfolio acquisitions, development and construction facilities and joint venture arrangements.
York Capital: in relation to a consortium’s acquisition of Standard Chartered Bank’s Hong Kong consumer finance business
Redcape Property Fund: in relation to the takeover and recapitalisation of Redcape via a distressed debt control transaction
Värde Partners: in relation to a consortium’s acquisition of GE’s $8.2 billion consumer finance business
Orchard Group: in relation to the acquisition of Woolworth’s $850 million portfolio of regional distribution centres and numerous other financings, and
Silicon Valley Bank, Partners for Growth and Pure Asset Management: in relation to multiple acquisition and corporate debt facilities with Australian technology, biotech and growth companies.
Restructuring & insolvency
Australian Football League: advising on its $600 million ‘COVID season’ refinancing and club support agreement
PWC, as deed administrators: in relation to the insolvency of listed retail fashion group PAS Group Limited
KPMG, as deed administrators: in relation to the financing of the Pasminco Cockle Creek Smelter site
Wingate (as financier) and Deloitte (as receivers): in connection with the insolvency of the Ralan Property Group
Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal: acting for a key stakeholder in relation to refinance and take-or-pay arrangements
Alinta Energy: acting for the senior secured lenders in relation to insolvency planning for the Alinta trust and creditors’ scheme
Centro Properties Group: acting for the unsecured noteholders in the initial corporate restructuring
KordaMentha: acting for the receivers of the Record Realty Group.
Awards & recognition
Ben is recognised as a leading lawyer by various international guides to lawyers and law firms.
- Best Lawyers® International: banking & finance law, commercial law, insolvency & reorganisation law
- Chambers Asia Pacific: banking & finance: property and corporate finance and restructuring & insolvency, and
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific: banking & finance and restructuring & insolvency.