Ben Mahoney practises in commercial and banking & finance law, focussing on large debt and equity financing and restructuring transactions. He has acted for major corporations, funds, entrepreneurs and family groups in a range of finance, capital raising, property development, restructuring & insolvency and general commercial matters, including joint ventures, shareholder arrangements and business acquisitions.
“Very active, very good at corralling a group of stakeholders and is across all the details.”
- banking and finance transactions, including negotiating large debt and equity financing transactions, capital raising, property development finance, project finance, mezzanine finance and intercreditor arrangements;
- large solvent and insolvent restructuring and workout transactions;
- managed investment scheme and financial services law; and
- general commercial and corporate transactions, including joint ventures, shareholder arrangements, business acquisitions and restructuring advice.
Ben has acted for major corporations, funds, entrepreneurs and family groups in a range of finance, restructuring and general commercial matters, including:
- York Capital: in relation to a consortium’s acquisition of Standard Chartered Bank’s Hong Kong consumer finance business;
- Redcape Property Fund: acting for a group of international funds in relation to the takeover and recapitalisation of Redcape via a distressed debt control transaction;
- Värde Partners: in relation to a consortium’s acquisition of GE’s $8.2 billion consumer finance business;
- Alinta Energy: acting for the senior secured lenders in relation to insolvency planning for the Alinta trust and creditors’ scheme;
- Centro Properties Group: acting for the unsecured noteholders in the initial corporate restructuring;
- KordaMentha: acting for the receivers of the Record Realty Group;
- Orchard Group: in relation to the acquisition of Woolworth’s $850 million portfolio of regional distribution centres and numerous other financings;
- Silicon Valley Bank and Partners for Growth: in relation to multiple acquisition and corporate debt facilities with Australian technology and biotech companies;
- APN Property Group: in relation to the establishment of several $100 million plus wholesale development funds and associated debt facilities; and
- A large number of Australian property groups and developers: in relation debt and equity financing transactions for property and portfolio acquisitions, development and construction facilities and joint venture arrangements.
Ben has also acted for a range of international financial institutions in an offshore environment (Jersey, Channel Islands) in relation to:
- regulatory capital raising;
- credit default swap structures;
- receivables financing conduits; and
- secured, guaranteed and/or credit-linked note programmes