Ben Friis-O’Toole is a senior associate in the firm’s dispute resolution & litigation and reconstruction & insolvency practice groups in Sydney. He acts for individuals and private and public companies in a range of contentious and non-contentious matters.
Before joining the firm in 2017, Ben was Associate to the Hon. Justice N Perram, Federal Court of Australia and a lawyer in the Disputes & Investigations and Restructuring & Insolvency teams at Allens, where he spent six months on secondment in the Regulatory Response team at a leading Australian trading bank.
Ben holds a Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws (Hons) from the University of Sydney and a Master of Law (Hons) from the University of Cambridge. He is admitted as a lawyer in New South Wales.
- dispute resolution and litigation;
- reconstruction and insolvency;
- regulatory investigations.
Since joining ABL, Ben has acted for individuals and private and public companies in a range of matters, including:
- former directors of Dick Smith in litigation relating to directors’ duties;
- the Administrators of the Arrium Group;
- group members in a class action relating to investments in an unlisted property trust;
- private companies in oppression proceedings brought by a minority shareholder;
- an individual in criminal cartel proceedings;
- the responsible entity of a listed special purpose real estate investment trust in proceedings relating to member voting rights;
- a former director of Babcock & Brown companies in litigation relating to an investment in a US corporation;
- a US-based individual in proceedings relating to obtaining evidence on commission;
- payment-in-kind (PIK) noteholders in the Bis Industries restructure, effected under a scheme of arrangement.