Micaela Bernfield is a senior associate in the firm’s taxation practice.
Micaela advises on a range of Federal and State tax matters, including the taxation of trusts, corporate income tax, goods and services tax and payroll tax. She also acts for clients in dealing with the Australian Taxation Office on complex tax disputes.
Micaela advises high-net-worth individuals, private groups, public companies and not-for-profit organisations.
Micaela joined the firm in 2013 as a paralegal and returned in 2019 as a lawyer. She holds a Master of Laws from the University of Sydney.
Micaela’s practice focuses on the following areas:
- Advising clients on, and managing, all stages of ATO audits and reviews of clients' income tax and GST affairs (mainly in relation to large business, high wealth and private group audits) and resolving disputes with the ATO. This includes responding to position papers, preparing evidence, preparing objections, settlement negotiations and alternative dispute resolution
- Advising clients on, and managing, all stages of making a voluntary disclosure, including liaising with the ATO
- Advising on, and obtaining, private rulings and class rulings from the ATO
- Advising on income tax issues, including Division 7A, controlled foreign companies, capital gains tax, residency, and withholding tax. This includes advice associated with cross-border arrangements and advice on the application of Australia’s double taxation agreements
- Advising on the taxation of trusts. This includes transferor trusts, section 99B and section 100A
- Advising on the GST implications of property transactions
- Advising not-for-profit entities on their ability to obtain income tax exempt status, and
- Employment related taxes.
Recommended for Tax in Australia
Micaela has acted for both domestic and international clients on a variety of taxation matters, including a range of high net wealth individuals and private groups in connection with taxation planning, structuring and complex disputes with the Australian Taxation Office.
Awards & recognition
Micaela is recognised as a leading lawyer by an international guide to lawyers and law firms:
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific: tax.