Elly Bishop practices in the firm’s Dispute Resolution & Litigation practice, acting for public and private companies and high net worth individuals, with a particular focus on commercial contractual disputes.
Prior to joining the firm in 2017, Elly was a lawyer at one of Australia’s leading firms before serving as an Associate to her Honour Justice Gordon AC in both the Federal Court of Australia and the High Court of Australia. Elly joined the firm after returning to Australia following some overseas travel and was appointed as a Senior Associate in 2018.
“Elly’s values, work ethic and legal know-how enabled us to achieve a truly remarkable outcome.
- dispute resolution and litigation arising from general commercial and contractual arrangements, relating to:
- professional services (including professional negligence)
- partnerships and joint ventures
- business sales
- intellectual property, and
- corporations matters, in particular concerning shareholders’ disputes and directors’ duties.
Elly has acted on a range of matters, including on behalf of:
Dispute resolution & litigation
- Aveo Group Limited: defending Aveo in a class action in the Federal Court of Australia brought on behalf of certain residents of Aveo’s retirement villages
- various companies: in relation to contractual disputes
- companies and high-net-worth individuals: in relation to disputes about professional services
- companies and high-net-worth individuals: in relation to shareholders’ disputes, partnership disputes, and allegations about breaches of directors’ duties
- a high net worth individual: in relation to allegations of defamation, and
- various companies: in relation to intellectual property disputes.
Restructuring & insolvency
- receivers and managers: for relief under s 588FM of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) in relation to the date for registration of a security interest
- Deed Administrators of Arrium: in relation to public examinations of former officers and advisers, and
- liquidators of Gunns Plantations Limited (in liquidation) (receivers and managers appointed): in an application for directions regarding the payment of proceeds of sale of assets of managed investment schemes.