Spotlight on restructuring in retail
- key issues in restructuring retail businesses, such as addressing underperforming leases. The panellists noted that retailers need to be flexible in their negotiations with landlords around possible solutions to leasing issues, and should assume that landlords will take a sophisticated view as to the ongoing value of the lease to the landlord
- some of the reasons for weak growth in the retail sector, including that consumers are becoming more sophisticated, changing their purchasing behaviour and have different expectations about their customer experience, and
- the opportunities that online sales, in particular ‘click and collect’, present for driving foot traffic to stores.
Lessons learned from the restructure of Arrium
- revisiting the period in the lead up to the appointment
- reflecting on the resilience of appointment processes, and
- describing how the administration process and the deeds of company arrangement formulated by KordaMentha and ABL facilitated the sales of Arrium’s local and international businesses.
ABL was a strategic partner of the Debtwire Australia Restructuring Forum for the third year running. The forum attracted over 150 senior delegates from across the legal, insolvency, banking, corporate advisory, accounting and funds management sectors.