Peter Scott practises in the firm’s taxation group, providing strategic and technical tax advice to a diverse range of Australian and international clients, public corporations, private groups, and high-net-worth individuals.
Peter advises across most areas of tax with a particular focus on corporate and international tax, deals, employee share schemes, trusts and tax controversy matters. Peter graduated from the University of Tasmania in 2013 with a Bachelor of Business (Accounting) and Bachelor of Laws with first class honours in law and is currently completing a Master of Taxation Law at the University of Sydney.
Peter worked as a tax analyst at a Big Four accounting firm before joining Arnold Bloch Leibler as a lawyer in 2015. He was appointed as a senior associate effective July 2019.
“Peter is a technically proficient and commercial lawyer, who is able to get his head around very complex issues in a short time, articulate these issues and deliver advice in a pragmatic way.”
Peter’s practice focuses on the following areas:
- corporate and international income tax, including the Australian tax implications of mergers and acquisitions, consolidation, group restructuring (solvent and insolvent), investment into and out of Australia, and the application of Australia’s tax treaty network
- taxation issues associated with corporate finance: advising clients on the taxation of financial arrangements, including asset finance, structured finance and securitisation
- taxation of trusts and funds advice, including the operation of the managed investment trust regime
- executive/employee share and option plans, and
- tax controversy matters, including managing taxation audits, negotiations and disputes with the ATO in relation to income tax and related matters.
Peter has acted for both domestic and international clients in a wide range of taxation matters, including:
- Starwood Capital: provided tax advice to US investment firm, Starwood Capital on behalf of Starwood Property Trust, in relation to its first Australian debt deal – a $220 million development facility for a project by international student accommodation specialist, Scape
- Specialty Fashion Group (now City Chic Collective Limited): provided tax advice to Specialty Fashion Group Limited in relation to the strategic sale of its Millers, Katies, Crossroads, Autograph and Rivers portfolio of businesses to Noni B
- Nufarm: in relation to a USD$475 million offering of senior unsecured notes to institutional buyers in the United States
- Arrium: in relation to the complex pre-sale restructure of the East Coast Steel business and the implementation of the various ground-breaking deeds of company arrangement. Advising on the sale documentation and diligence issues
- Executive Channel International: in relation to a demerger of the European business, obtaining ATO rulings and advising on all aspects of the AUD$68 million sale of the Australian business to oOH!media Limited
- Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corporation: in relation to its acquisition of the Krispy Kreme Australia and New Zealand franchise business from its founding shareholders
- Verizon Communications Inc: in relation to Australian tax aspects of its USD$4.5 billion acquisition of Yahoo! Inc's core assets
- Nulac Foods: in relation to the sale of the Nulac Foods goat milk business to Bubs Australia Limited and transaction documentation in a combined cash and scrip deal, and
- PIK noteholders: in relation to on the AUD$1.2 billion recapitalisation of resource logistics provider Bis Industries by way of a restructuring and a debt-for-equity-swap.
- Several high-net-worth individuals and large private groups in relation to ATO audits and disputes
- Various private groups in relation to restructuring tax advice, and
- Several property developers in relation to GST and income tax issues.
Directorships & memberships
- a fellow of the Tax Institute of Australia
- a member of the Australian branch of the International Fiscal Association, and
- a member of the Tax Institute of Australia’s Emerging Leaders sub-committee.
Awards & recognition
- Finalist, The Tax Institute of Australia’s Tax Adviser of the Year Awards, ‘Emerging Tax Star of the Year’, and
- Winner, The Forsyth / Pose 2016 Scholarship awarded by the Taxation Committee of the Business Law Section of the Law Council of Australia.