Jessica Thrower is a Senior Associate (effective July 2020) in the firm's dispute resolution & litigation team, representing public and private companies and high net wealth individuals.
Jessica has acted in a range of commercial disputes, corporate insolvencies, regulatory investigations and parliamentary inquiries. She has also acted for numerous pro bono clients and worked collaboratively with community legal and other not-for-profit organisations on systemic advocacy projects in the public interest.
Jessica holds a Bachelor of Journalism and Bachelor of Laws (Honours I) from the University of Queensland, and a Master of Laws (First Class) from the University of Cambridge. Prior to joining the firm, Jessica worked in disputes teams at leading law firms in Brisbane and London and served as an Associate to her Honour Justice Atkinson AO in the Supreme Court of Queensland.
Jessica’s practice focuses on the following areas:
- commercial litigation principally in the Supreme, Federal and appellate Courts, and alternative dispute resolution
- corporate insolvency and restructuring
- corporate governance, including board and shareholder disputes and directors’ duties
- regulatory compliance and investigations, and
- public inquiries.
Jessica has acted in a range of matters, including on behalf of:
Litigation and dispute resolution
- Cbus Super: in relation to a trademark infringement dispute surrounding the iconic Fearless Girl statue
- BetEasy: in relation to Federal Court proceedings concerning claims for breach of the Australian Consumer Law and trademark infringement
- An Australian mining company: in relation to High Court proceedings considering the construction of mining royalties agreements (prior to joining ABL)
- Leading global private equity firms: in relation to competition regulatory compliance and investigations (prior to joining ABL)
- Various companies: in relation to contractual disputes, negligence and misleading and deceptive conduct claims
- Various companies and high-net-worth individuals: in relation to shareholder disputes, partnership disputes, and allegations of breaches of directors’ duties
Restructuring and insolvency
- Pitcher Partners: in relation to public examinations under s 596B of the Corporations Act
- A State Public Trustee: in relation to Federal Court proceedings considering the scope of a debenture trustee’s duty under s 283DA(a) of the Corporations Act (prior to joining ABL)
- Creditors, directors and officers of entities in liquidation: in relation to directors’ duties and potential claims
- A racing industry body: in relation to the Queensland Racing Commission of Inquiry (prior to joining ABL)
- A public health service provider: in relation to the Barrett Adolescent Centre Commission of Inquiry (prior to joining ABL)
- Global Citizen: in relation to corporate governance and dispute resolution advice
- Ramahyuck Aboriginal Land Council: in relation to the transfer of property from a company in a liquidation
- Various charities and not-for-profit organisations: in relation to submissions to public inquiries (prior to joining ABL)