Jessica Elliott practices in the firm’s litigation & dispute resolution group. She acts for public and private companies, high-net-worth individuals and other high-profile clients.
Jessica has acted in a diverse range of commercial disputes, corporate insolvencies, corporate governance issues, senate inquiries, ASIC investigations and royal commissions.
She is recognised by the Legal 500 Asia Pacific as a ‘key lawyer’ for her expertise in the area of dispute resolution.
Jessica graduated from Deakin University with a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws with honours and was a recipient of the Dean of Law’s award of excellence. She also studied international intellectual property disputes and arbitration at Pace University in New York. During 2020 and 2021 Jessica worked as an Associate to the Honourable Justice Sifris of the Victorian Court of Appeal. She joined the firm as a graduate in 2017 and was admitted to practice in 2018. She was appointed as a senior associate in July 2021.
Jessica’s practice focuses on the following areas:
- commercial litigation and alternate dispute resolution
- insolvency and restructuring advice and litigation
- corporate regulatory investigations
- contractual, trusts and trade practices disputes, and
- royal commissions and parliamentary inquiries.
Jessica has acted for clients on a range of matters, including:
Dispute resolution & litigation
- Bensons Property Group: in relation to a contractual dispute concerning a development in Port Melbourne (including Supreme Court proceedings and an appeal in the High Court)
- a prominent Australian businessman: in relation to a contractual and intellectual property dispute
- a managing director of a multinational investment banking company: in relation to a tenancy dispute
- Melbourne Storm Rugby League Club: in relation to a restraint of trade dispute with its former CEO
- Perpetual Corporate Trust Limited: defending application for injunctive relief brought in the Supreme Court of Victoria, and
- Aoyin Finance Pty Ltd: defending a contractual dispute in the Supreme Court of Victoria including making security for costs applications and a dismissal application.
Restructuring & insolvency
- the Administrators of Arrium Limited, including:
- in the investigation of claims against directors and advisors of the Arrium Group, and public examinations of those individuals conducted in the New South Wales Supreme Court
- in Federal Court and Court of Appeal proceedings regarding directions regarding proofs of debts, and
- the Administrators of the Ten Group: in a seminal case regarding the independence of voluntary administrators where they have undertaken pre-administration work.
- CEO of an Australian Sporting League in relation to a parliamentary inquiry
- an Australian sportsman in relation to potential disqualification from professional sport, and
- a director of an ASX listed company: in an ASIC investigation, including in connection with a s 19 examination, s 33 notices, and related proceedings issued by ASIC against another director.
- the directors of Crown Resorts: in connection with the Royal Commissions into Crown Melbourne and Crown Perth
- Industry Super Australia and four leading industry superannuation funds: in connection with the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry, and
- Japara Healthcare: in connection with the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety.
Awards & recognition
Jessica is recognised as a leading lawyer by an international guide to lawyers and law firms:
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific: dispute resolution.