Teresa Ward is a partner in the firm’s dispute resolution & litigation group. She has a particular focus on complex financial and regulatory disputes, class actions, insolvency and restructuring, intellectual property and media law.
Teresa acts for public and private companies as well as individuals and entrepreneurs operating in range of industries. She is also noted for her expertise in class actions in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Teresa joined ABL in 2010 after working overseas for in industry (for Nokia as IPR Litigation Counsel, Global) and for Allens in Melbourne. She brings to her practice a keen appreciation of the impact of disputes on the day to day operation of companies and a collaborative approach to identifying solutions that meet stakeholder needs. Teresa’s broad practice and experience in industry and private practice arm her to look outside of the box to find solutions that work.
Teresa graduated from The University of Melbourne with a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Laws. She is admitted in both Australia and the UK.
Recommended for Dispute resolution: Class actions in Australia
Teresa’s practice focuses on the following areas:
financial and regulatory investigations and disputes
class actions including investor and regulatory class actions
insolvency and restructuring related matters including claims arising from distressed and insolvency appointments
defamation and media law advice
intellectual property disputes, including patent, copyright and design disputes
contract and competition disputes, including market sharing and misleading or deceptive conduct, and
general commercial litigation in the Supreme, Federal and appellate Courts, as well as alternative dispute resolution.
Teresa has acted for a number of clients in a range of matters including:
- Visy: in relation to class action proceedings brought against it for alleged breaches of the Trade Practices Act and various contractual disputes;
- founding members of an ASX listed education provider: in relation to class action proceedings commenced against the listed entity;
- AustralianSuper: in relation to a claim against the Future Fund for breach of contract and misleading and deceptive conduct arising from its purchase of various assets from AIX;
- Pitcher Partners: in proceedings commenced by the liquidators of Bill Express Limited against it and KPMG in relation to their audits of Bill Express’ financial statements;
- a large health insurance provider: in proceedings commenced against it in relation to the implementation of its hospital provider purchaser agreements;
- Telstra: in relation to directors duties advice and contractual negotiations;
- creditors, directors and officers of entities in liquidation: in relation to directors duties and potential claims including preference claims and potential class actions;
- Juicy Isle Pty Ltd: in a dispute with a multi-national producer and distributor which included a reference to the ACCC;
- SEEK Ltd: in various disputes with competitors in relation to misleading and deceptive conduct claims;
- The Just Group: in relation to claims against competitors for misleading and deceptive conduct, trade mark infringement and passing off;
- Altair Aviation, a small innovator: in a claim for breach of contract against ARB Limited; and
- IMF: in a defamation action brought against it in the Victorian Supreme Court.
Prior to Arnold Bloch Leibler, Teresa acted in:
- landmark proceedings in the UK against Interdigital (a patent aggregator) establishing a novel form of declaratory relief available to defendants against whom an allegation of patent infringement has been made (for Nokia).
- references to the European Commission and the ITC (US) alleging competition law violations by Qualcomm, Apple and HTC including abuse of dominant position, price fixing and bundling (for Nokia);
- multiple concurrent patent infringement and revocation proceedings commenced by GlaxoSmithKline against generic manufacturers in relation to paroxetine (Paxil) (at Allens);
- large scale commercial and competition law disputes in the technology and manufacturing sectors for companies including CGU, Siemens, Décor and Tupperware including breach of contract, intellectual property infringements, competition law and regulatory claims.
Directorships & memberships
Teresa is a:
- member of the Competition and Economics Law Network, and
- member of the Victorian Women Lawyers.
Awards & recognition
Teresa is recognised as a leading lawyer by an international guide to lawyers and law firms:
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific: dispute resolution.