Stephen Lloyd is a partner in the firm’s dispute resolution & litigation practice with a particular focus on insolvency litigation and commercial contractual disputes, as well as regulatory investigations and white collar defence work.
Recognised for Dispute Resolution and Restructuring and Insolvency in Australia
Stephen’s practice focuses on the following areas:
- insolvency and restructuring advice and litigation
- commercial litigation and dispute resolution, and
- regulatory investigations and white collar defence work.
Stephen has acted on a range of matters, including on behalf of:
Restructuring & insolvency
- the Administrators of Arrium Limited, including:
- in a seminal Personal Property Securities Act case regarding the validity of a creditor’s security interest in a $23 million piece of mining equipment leased to an Arrium company
- in an application seeking orders limiting the Administrators’ personal liability for hundreds of millions of dollars of debts incurred during the Arrium administration, and
- as a general adviser to the Administrators on matters concerning the complex administration, including issues relating to the sale of the Arrium steelmaking and steel distribution business.
- Spicers Limited: in a capital restructuring involving a trust scheme and share issue
- the Commonwealth of Australia seeking to recover amounts from insolvency practitioners under the FEG scheme, and
- financial guarantors: in a refinance and restructuring of Reliance Rail’s debt portfolio.
Dispute resolution & litigation
- Australian credit card payments technology entrepreneurs: in a claim against a major credit card network operator regarding anti-competitive conduct
- a major international bank: in relation to defending a claim by senior executives for severance pay and bonuses
- a leading coal producer: in various disputes involving complex logistics and supply agreements
- an investment fund: in disputes regarding the control of its Australian assets
- the former directors of Babcock & Brown companies: in litigation relating to complex financial transactions
- an advisor to the former MFS Group: in litigation brought by the MFS liquidator, and
- a leading coal producer: in disputes relating to access pricing.
Regulatory investigations & white collar defence
- executives: in regulatory and criminal investigations, including foreign bribery investigations
- a company investigating and freezing the assets of a fraudulent employee
- a company unwinding a massive international fraud, and
- various companies in relation to ASIC compulsory document production and examination notices.
Awards & recognition
Stephen is recognised as a leading lawyer by an international guide to lawyers and law firms:
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific: dispute resolution and restructuring & insolvency.