Melanie is regarded for her pragmatic advice and deep level of support she provides her clients. Melanie regularly advises clients on hiring practices and pre-employment issues, managing performance and misconduct, drafting and reviewing employment contracts and associated policies, providing strategic advice on business restructures and sales, ensuring compliance with employment and equal opportunity laws, termination of employment, enforcing post-employment obligations and restraints and managing workplace disputes.
Melanie has worked for a diverse range of clients, including in the retail, manufacturing, financial services, healthcare, media and advertising and professional services industries, as well as many in the not-for-profit sector. She has also worked with industry regulators to successfully prosecute breaches of workplace laws. Melanie provides clear and strategic advice to her clients.
Before joining Arnold Bloch Leibler in 2019, Melanie was a Senior Associate in Herbert Smith Freehills' Employment, Industrial Relations and Safety team. She has also worked on secondment at ANZ as a Senior Employee Relations Advisor and at Binarri-Binyja Yarrawoo Aboriginal Corporation in Kununurra (WA), where she developed the organisation's corporate governance framework and advised on director remuneration options and stakeholder engagement.
Melanie graduated from the University of Melbourne with a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and a Diploma of Modern Languages (French).
Melanie's practice spans a range of workplace issues, including:
- senior executive engagements, transitions and separations;
- protection of confidential information, intellectual property and enforceability of post-employment restraints;
- strategic workplace planning and change management;
- best practice management of workplace investigations and resolution of workplace complaints;
- termination of employment and managing performance, discipline, absenteeism and ill and injured workers;
- workplace policies and procedures;
- compliance with workplace laws; and
- advising on the employment implications of business restructures, outsourcings and acquisitions.