Jonathan has also advised extensively on: cross-border taxation issues; employment taxes, including the tax treatment of employee share schemes, termination payments and fringe benefits; and the GST implications of transactions and dealings in the development of property.
Using his technical tax knowledge, Jonathan works with clients to obtain commercial and practical outcomes. He has particular experience in dealing with the Australian Taxation Office on complex tax issues in a dispute resolution context.
Jonathan is a keen and active member of the tax community. As well as presenting on tax topics at various sessions, he has authored and co-authored a number of published articles, papers and bulletins, including Thomson Reuters’ Weekly Tax Bulletin, the Tax Institute of Australia and CCH.
In 2017, Jonathan won 'Emerging Tax Star' in the Tax Institute's "Tax Adviser of the Year" Awards.
Prior to joining Arnold Bloch Leibler in 2012, Jonathan worked in a financial advisory role at a top investment bank.
Jonathan holds a Bachelor of Commerce and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of New South Wales. In addition, Jonathan completed his Masters of Tax at the University of Sydney in 2017.
Jonathan’s practice focuses on the following areas:
- advising clients on, and managing, all stages of ATO audits and reviews of clients’ income tax and GST affairs (mainly in relation to large business, high wealth and private group audits) and resolving disputes with the ATO;
- advising on the GST implications of property transactions, cross border transactions and on the sale of businesses;
- advising clients on, and managing, all stages of making a voluntary disclosure, including liaising with the Australian Taxation Office;
- corporate and international income tax, including the Australian tax implications of mergers and acquisitions, consolidation, group restructuring (solvent and insolvent), investment into and out of Australia, and the application of Australia’s tax treaty network;
- taxation issues affecting individuals including the taxation of offshore assets and structures, issues and disputes concerning tax residency and advising on asset protection;
- taxation of trusts and funds advice; and
- employee incentive arrangements and employment related taxes.
Directorships & memberships
Jonathan is a Fellow of the Taxation Institute of Australia.