Joey has a quiet, understated approach, which belies his very achievement-focused practice. He has an outstanding rapport with clients who seek him out for his vast commercial experience and skills in taxation law, including tax advice, planning, audit and dispute work. Joey’s commercial practice also involves structuring, business and company acquisitions and sales and joint ventures. He has been a partner of Arnold Bloch Leibler since 1991.
Joey is recognised as a notable practitioner for his expertise in charities and private wealth law by the prominent international guide to law firms, Chambers Asia Pacific. Sources say he "delivers his advice straight and crisp". He has also been listed as a recommended lawyer for tax in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Joey attracts a considerable amount of referral work from other professional service providers who seek his advice, or work in concert with him to deliver clients comprehensive wealth management advice.
Joey is a member of the commercial & corporate, taxation and private client groups. His practice focuses on the following areas:
- commercial and corporate law, including acquisitions, sales, joint ventures and governance issues and corporate and trust structuring and restructuring;
- taxation, stamp duty and land tax issues;
- strategic planning and the structuring and implementation of appropriate business and investment vehicles, including trusts and advising on and documenting shareholder, unitholder and joint venture agreements;
- private clients, estate, tax and trusts planning;
- business succession planning, including asset and business succession and control, succession documentation for trusts and companies, and family and governance agreements and constitutions; and
- philanthropy and charitable giving, including establishment of special purpose philanthropic entities and private and public ancillary funds (PAFs).
Joey is a member of the the Not-for-profit Stewardship Group for the Australian Taxation Office.
Joey has a strong commitment to the Jewish community, which is reflected in the public positions he holds, including President of the Australian Friends of Yad Vashem Inc., life member of the executive of the Mount Scopus Memorial College Foundation.
He is also a director of the Jewish Holocaust Centre Foundation Limited and Access Foundation Limited and acts as the trustee of a number of client Private and Public Ancillary Funds.
Joey is also a director of Collingwood Football Club Foundation Limited.